Monday, May 5, 2014

Ending the Year at DMBGC

So as the school year comes to a close, and I am finishing my time here at the Don Moyer's Boys and Girls Club, I am a little sad to go.  The Club has definitely grown to have a soft spot in my heart for many reasons.  I have been exposed to all type of experiences dealing with education, youth, and leadership, just in this one internship at DMBGC.  I have grown and learned a lot, and I have to give a big thanks to DMBGC for allowing me to intern at their club.

A very big task I worked on while interning at the club, was the SmartGirls program.  This program was started by my supervisor Debarah McFarland.  When I joined the team, Debarah and I worked together to create a program that was very beneficial for the girls.  It was more than just meeting once a week to talk about self-development in teen girls, it was about changing their lives for the better.  Creating a positive environment for the girls where they can be themselves and gain whatever it was they needed to gain to better their lives, was our first and only priority with this program.


An event that SmartGirls was apart of was an all-girls lock-in at the club.  The theme of the lock-in was "Being a Queen", and it was a success.  In the lock-in, we engaged in all types of activities from panel discussion, group talks, red-carpet fashion show, and even making care packages for a local women's shelter.  I will say that all of us (me) did not make it through the whole night! Zzzzzz

However, through the whole experience, I am pleased to say that I did it and I would do it over and over again.  My time at the club was great and I hope that they continue to grow, and remember me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment