Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Transitioning to Extension

Hello!  I'm Molly Novotney, a junior majoring in Agricultural Leadership Education.  I'm a transfer to the U of I from Joliet Junior College, and my internship this summer is with University of Illinois Extension in LaSalle, Bureau, Marshall, and Putnam Counties.  I'm an intern in 4-H and Youth Development, and I'm very excited to see where this summer takes me.

My project for this summer is to plan, create, facilitate, and evaluate a youth education pilot program.   The pilot program, titled "Growing Futures in Agriculture," will teach 4-H youth, grades 6th-8th, about careers and jobs in agriculture, which will be taught by teen FFA members from local chapters.  This program will serve two purposes, as it will teach and develop 4-H youth more about the field of agriculture, as well as create a better bond between 4-H and FFA.

This has been a very interesting transition for me.  I have spent the last two years during the school year working part-time for my high school Ag teachers and FFA Advisors, and during the summers, I was a crop scout.  To go from jeans, boots, and no make up to khakis being my "dressing down" in the office is a bit of a culture shock.  However, it is a welcome change, and I'm enjoying my time so far!

I'm looking forward to what the summer will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment