Saturday, June 10, 2017

My Grain Elevator Experience








If I told you I was interning for Cargill at a grain elevator, what would you think I did on an average day? Would you think I worked on conveyor belts and cleaned out boot pits? Would you think I greased the rollers? Actually, I haven't done any of those things yet, but reading this post will show you some things I have done up to this point.










During my first few weeks at Cargill, I have: flown a drone, swept pits after trucks dump their load, learned to drive a bobcat to clean up spilled grain, grading trucks, helping clean out a bin, and so much more.


One of my favorite experiences up to this point was helping load a barge. Being from Central Illinois, I had only seen barges as I was crossing over the Mississippi River. When I actually stood by the barge, I couldn't believe how large it actually was. The barge we are loading in the picture above was a rake barge and held almost 65,000 bushels of beans. To put this in reference of semi trucks, that would be 65 loads! As I stood there watching line boats pass, I realized how vital the Mississippi River was to the transport of goods. 





Working in West Memphis, AR has been an adjustment for me coming from living in a town of 1,300 people. While I work in Arkansas, I live in Memphis, TN. Moving to a large city from my rural small town was scary, but it made me grow as a person. Even though I reside in the city I pass rice fields, cows, and horses on my way to and from work.
  







The picture of the elevator was taken with the drone at work. My boss has a project scheduled for me with the drone if I have enough time. In the future weeks, I have a lot of traveling ahead of me! Sam, my boss, would like me to travel to the facilities in Hickman, KY and East Saint Louis, IL. I also have an intern forum in Minneapolis, MN at the end of June. The last adventure will be traveling to the facility in Tuscola, IL to help load rails cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment