Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Two weeks into the internship and I have been having a lot of fun and learning so much. Growing up in a Chicago suburb, I have not had too much exposure to farming practices. I have spent a good deal of time on my grandparents farm, but I never ran any equipment. So these first two weeks brought many new experiences. I learned to drive different tractors and mowers. I also got to ride on a tractor while it was planting sweet corn and see how the GPS and auto steer work. This particular experience was really interesting and it was cool to see all the different things that are monitored when planting. Getting to ride on these tractors and learn how to do things while watching those who are really experienced is fun because they know a ton and can answer all of my questions. I have already learned so much and I am very excited for what the rest of this summer will bring.

This is a picture of the sweet corn planting contraption that I got to ride on.

1 comment: