Wednesday, September 4, 2013

As the Summer Comes to an End...


For most of my summer, I spent my days wondering the fields of central Illinois looking for some of the smallest problems in the world! In other words, I was a field scout for Agriculture INformation Research Services, or AIRS throughout the summer. Most of my days were spent scouting for pests like insects, weeds, and diseases that will all affect the yield of the growing crop. I was also able to work with my farmers to see what they needed throughout the summer such as insects and diseases they could not identify themselves.





 To the Left: A few "ears" that I had found in one of my corn fields. These ears are looking good and pollinating nicely.
Below: Me standing in front of one of my scouted bean fields. It was a great day to be outside!


As the final weeks of the internship come to an end, me and my fellow 
scout David Fulton will be doing more and more checks for insects and
diseases that will effecting the final yields in the fields. We will also be 
filling out yield checks so that the farmer's know what to be looking for
during harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment