Friday, November 10, 2017

Soil and Water Conservation in Shelbyville

                                  

                                               



This summer I was an intern as a soil conservationist trainee in Shelbyville, Illinois for the National Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) field office. During the internship, I received hands-on training with soil conservation. I worked with farmers to ensure that the soil in their fields and pastures remained wholesome by planting specific grasses or other crops to reduce soil erosion. I also worked with the farmers on appropriate ways to implement the best practices for field borders and planting of CRP (Conservation Reserve Program).  CRP is a voluntary land conservation program that pays farmers to retire environmentally sensitive cropland.


The NRCS staff I worked with at the Shelbyville office were very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful when I had questions. During the internship, I met a ton of people who worked in the agency and made some friends along the way! What I enjoyed most about this summer internship was the hands-on work I did while working in the office and outside of the office. I was exposed to several practices that farmers and landowners implement on their properties. This was a great learning opportunity.

This internship experience helped shape my future. I gained better communication skills every day on the job between the farmers, or with my coworkers in the office. Being in a professional atmosphere this summer has given me an idea of what to expect in my future career. The skills I learn in the classroom at the University of Illinois enabled me to be prepared for my internship with the NRCS. The Agriculture Leadership program has helped shape me as a person as well as an educator.  



                                                   


                              

3 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing this valuable information
    Summer Training in Noida

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s really a nice and useful piece of information. I am glad that you shared this useful information with us. Please keeps us to date like this .thank you for sharing.

    Python corporate training in Nigeria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please continue this great work and I look forward to more of your awesome posts.

    in-house training program in Nigeria

    ReplyDelete