Thursday, July 24, 2014

A Learning Experience That I'll Never Forget

This summer has gone by so quickly and it's hard to believe that I'm almost done working as an intern for Mixagogo Inc. Not only has Mixagogo been an experience, but California is just paradise to me. I am staying in Southern California in Redondo Beach, where I am a 10 minute walk from the ocean. The weather is amazing every day, but I could use a little rain once in a while. Overall, I love the atmosphere and that is a very big contributing factor to why I am having a great experience.

At the start of the summer, I wasn't really too busy. I was doing a lot of work behind the scenes for Mixagogo such as, finding events/inputting them into the web-based interface, creating marketing pieces(examples below), began the mobile application design, and researched different social media approaches to increase the popularity of the Mixagogo name. These were the tasks that I was doing starting in May and they have continued on through the present day. Along with working on these aspects of the company, I was introduced to networking events, up-front and in person. This was where the real work started. My boss, Joanne Galin, is a "networking guru" to most people and she is very personable. In order to increase the popularity of Mixagogo, I accompanied her at networking events. The first event I went to was the Manhattan Beach Wine Auction on June 17th, 2014. This event was definitely the largest and most interesting, given that I'm a big wine fanatic and all. This is an annual event with the intention of gathering wine/food lovers and party goers to participate in a wine auction in which donations go to charity. All of the proceeds go to the Manhattan Beach Education Foundation. At the wine auction, I was able to meet so many new and different people. Everybody seemed to be very well-off, but very modest and generous. The auction went until 11 PM and as the night went on, the more exciting the auction became. Our table was set with at least 4 bottles of fine wine, bread, and a wide variety of cheeses. I felt as if I was living the high life already. I was well equipped with Mixagogo cards and handing them out to anybody and everybody that I met. I met people from companies that come from backgrounds with graphic design, wine making, fine art sales, mall leasing agents, financial advisory, the TV network industry and many more. There was such a wide range of companies that had been made available to tickets for this sold out event. It was something that I have never seen before. Overall, this event was great and I hope to be living in LA in order to attend next year.


Although the Wine Auction was the best event, I also attended many more that caught my interest. The next event that was most interesting to me was a city council rooftop mixer.This mixer was on top of the Bank of Manhattan at the beginning of July. It was right on the water and it was the perfect time for the sunset. At this event, I met a couple of people that really caught my attention. There was a man named Al Wise. He is the Director of marketing and public relations at Manhattan Beach Toyota. He is a retired priest and also offers counseling services for a smaller fee than any counselor in the area, given that he does his sessions in his house. I had an hour-long talk with him about his strategies in marketing. I gained a lot of insight on how to market the Mixagogo brand name. Another person of interest was Jeanne Peters. She owns her own wellness center and actually offered me a job for when I'm finished with my internship. I found that a lot of people knew about the Mixagogo name. I was very surprised when someone said to me, "you're into netowrking? Have you heard of Mixagogo?" I started to laugh because that was exactly what I was representing at the event. The main conversation starting points came from me deciding whether or not to move to Los Angeles and, of course, everybody is bias, but I don't really see any reason to not relocate. Overall, I am having a terrific time exploring the different opportunities that have come my way while working for the Mixagogo Inc. and I hope to be able to see plenty of more things as my internship continues.







No comments:

Post a Comment