Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Political Fundraisers & Agriculture!

This has been a very educating, rewarding, and busy summer so far! I am enjoying my internship with State Representative Norine Hammond and have been learning many new things as well as enhancing my knowledge of tasks I have already known how to do.  This summer I am working in Macomb, Illinois as a Legislative Assistant for the 93rd District of Illinois Representative.  I am one of three Legislative Assistants that the Representative goes to for many different reasons here at the District Headquarters.

So far in my internship I have had more responsibilities than I thought I would have.  In the month of June, one of the Legislative Assistants took a new job, leaving me with all of her responsibilities.  I had to learn quickly to fill her position.  I could not have asked for a better learning experience.  Representative Hammond and her head Legislative Assistant have been so helpful, kind, and educated when teaching me and informing me of news going on within the District as well as the State.  Besides receiving more job tasks, the last week of June I cut my left thumb open (I will spare you the details).  Unfortunately I am left handed so this made my internship tasks difficult as well as finishing up a 4-week summer class.  I am finally able to write again after 3 weeks and I am thankful that my thumb was not cut any worse.  During the healing process, Representative Hammond and I agreed to find new ways to complete some of the tasks and it was a learning process for both of us.  We definitely had some laughs along the way.

Two big things that I have gotten to be a part of with this internship are Representative Hammond's biggest event of the year (Golf Outing) and my Professional Experience assignment.  The Golf Outing this year had over 124 golfers and many volunteers.  As a Legislative Assistant I helped organize the event and helped with the preparation the day of the event.  Myself along with a new Legislative Assistant that is now in our office helped stake signs, serve food, sell raffle tickets, and assisted with any tasks that needed done throughout the day.

Below to the left is a picture of Lindsay (a former Legislative Assistant), Representative Hammond, and myself.  To the right is a "selfie" of myself and some of the college age volunteers who sold raffle tickets.  The last photo is a "group selfie" that Representative Hammond wanted to take.  This event was a blast and great opportunity to network with many companies and sponsors.




Lastly, I was fortunate to join Representative Hammond in meeting a group of approximately 25 college students from Charles Sturt University of Australia a week ago.  We met them on Western Illinois University's campus and I listened to questions that the Australians had about agriculture in our country versus their county.  After Norine spoke to the students about her role in agriculture students also asked how people spread the word about agriculture.  This is where I was able to talk about Teach Ag Day, FFA, WTF (Where's the Food Without the Farmer) Day, and AGED Club and how we make sure the community, state, and country understands the importance of agriculture and that we make sure people know the right story.  I was also able to tour Western's agriculture farms with Representative Hammond as she addressed issues that are happening with agriculture in West Central Illinois.  Through this experience, I was able to use my leadership and public speaking skills that I have learned through Agriculture Leadership. It was a great, unique experience.

Below is a picture of the Australian group, along with some WIU faculty, Representative Hammond, and myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment