Thursday, July 30, 2015

Lions and Tigers and Bears - Oh My!

This summer has been full of adventure and discovery. For my summer internship I chose the Miller Park Zoo so that I could combine both my degree in Ag Leadership Education with my passion for animals. The majority of my internship consists of assisting a fellow instructor, Julia, with the teaching of summer camps. We teach children ages 6-16 on various topics in the zoo as well as giving them hands-on interactions with some of the zoo's inhabitants. Julia and I have also performed various zoo-to-you programs where we take a select few animals to various locations such as schools, libraries and summer camps to educate children there on these wonderful creatures.
I was nervous at the beginning of this internship because I had vary little experience working with large groups of children. They are a completely different audience then what I have worked with previously and I wasn't sure how I would do. This was my coworkers first year with the camps as well so we were able to learn together with this program. I couldn't imagine finding a better place to learn and grow as an educator and I have had an amazing time doing it. I have been able to meet so many wonderful people and handle animals I would have never thought possible. I was even given the opportunity to bottle feed the zoo's newborn Snow Leopard cubs! As my time at the zoo comes to an end I know I will leave with new tools as an educator and lasting friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment