Friday, July 26, 2013

Champaign County Humane Society


Joe Melisi: Administrative Intern: Champaign County Humane Society



Bentley (Pit-Bull) and I outside on a walk during my lunch break.

In the time I've spent at the Humane Society I've found everything I was looking for and more in an internship. Not only has it given me opportunities to research and develop projects of my own but given me the opportunity to be advised and mentored by our Executive Director, Mary ‘Tief’ Tiefenbrunn. The internship has also opened up an abundant amount of networking possibilities in the future. Most of my tasks are fairly consistent with assisting our Development Director in working with our Development committee, attending board of director meetings, developing emergency planning, and researching legislation relevant to the humane society.  I recently applied for an internship for the fall and Tief was nice enough to meet with me to edit my resume and cover letter. I enjoy coming to work every day knowing there is always something to do and having the abundant animals around can be an energizer when the coffee just isn't cutting it. Michelle McKnight our Shelter Manager has informally proposed for me to come back in the fall as her Assistant Intern. This is something I am definitely interested in taking up dependent on my schedule in the fall.

What I really want to introduce to readers of the Ag Intern blog is something I am very passionate about, something as an educator that I feel the need to educate the public on. The controversial topic of Pit-bulls being “innately aggressive” and how legislation addressed the wide spread misconception of a dog guilty only of the owners who have chosen them as “companions”. Breed discriminatory laws (BDL) is defined by Stubbydog.org to have “four basic characteristics that are relevant: (1) definition of the breed, (2) procedures for identifying and challenging the designation, (3) ownership restrictions imposed, and (4) penalties for violation of the laws.” My editorial piece below regarding BDL—mostly involving Pit-bulls—gives insight that everyone in society should have knowledge of.

To view my editorial, visit the link below to my personal blog.

Pit-bulls: A Breed Victimized By No Fault of Their Own



No comments:

Post a Comment