Thursday, July 18, 2013

Soaked in info and cooked in the fire.

         Howdy, my name is Clayton Carley and I am currently interning with Eurofins Agroscience Services Inc located near Monticello Illinois.  Eurofins is a third party independant research company that conducts research on most often unlabeled products and new GMO crops.  We test products so that they can receive their EPA labeling as well as determine the many effects of products on the environment, and other crops. Often many interns are given a few tasks or jobs and one or two projects to complete thorough out their learning experience. Just as our season began with seemingly rain every other day soaking all of our projects, so I have been soaked with new information and skills. At Eurofins I have learned something new and done a new task almost every day and completed numerous different projects. One day I could be mixing new herbicides that wont be on the market for several more years, or testing products on the newest GMO crops being produced to hoeing weeds so that our test crops stay healthy before the research is conducted.  I have quite possibly one of the best bosses ever and I have been able to learn much from him about the research industry as well as personnel management and development. 
                         One day I could be mixing new herbicides that wont be on the market for several more years, or testing products on the newest GMO crops being produced to hoeing weeds so that our test crops stay healthy before the research is conducted.  I have also been able to take data on plots as the crops grow and we test new products on them.  Harvesting crops in order to obtain more data is also very important.  One of the greatest responsibilities and tasks that I have learned is how to conducted GLP research, or Good Laboratory Practices Research. There is a lot of paperwork that must be completed for GLP research and it is necessary in order to ensure that we conduct the best possible research.  It also requires many different procedures for working with crops and products.  Accuracy and good record keeping is a must. Just as the weather is now turning hot making us change some of our trials and adapt procedures so have I learned how to change and adapt my skills so that I can best benefit everyone at my internship site.  I have been thrown from the frying pan into the fire taking on new tasks and given new challenges, I really enjoy working with Eurofins and would seriously consider a career here. 



2 comments:

  1. Clayton - great post and excellent photos! I'm so glad you are getting both a professional work experience and sharpening your research skills. Fantastic summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clayton - great post and excellent photos! I'm so glad you are getting both a professional work experience and sharpening your research skills. Fantastic summer.

    ReplyDelete