Monday, August 31, 2015

AGED 260 Undergraduate Internship

As school starts back up, it is a great time to reflect on what was an exploratory and rewarding summer as the AGED 260 Undergrad Intern. Working with Lisa Burgoon was a great experience, and I learned a lot about the educational world.

For the most part, my internship was broken down into two sections. The first part was spent in the classroom with Professor Burgoon and her teaching staff. I got very familiar with 103 Mumford Hall (pictured below). In here, I had the chance to watch the class from a third party perspective, and give advice to the teaching team about what I thought was working or not working.

103 Mumford Hall: AGED 260 Main Lecture Location
















The other portion of my time was spent at the Illinois Leadership Center, where Lisa Burgoon's office is held. This is where her and I met to discuss the other portion of my internship. Aside from helping to improve the class, I was also responsible for creating online content that Lisa could use in her summer AGED 260 class. This is something that I had never done before, so it was a great learning experience! Being thrown into a completely new situation is intimidating, but it is also a great chance to learn about a new field.

All in all, this internship showed me an entirely new career field that I did not even realize existed. Working in academia is something that I am now considering. Oh, and if this experience sounded like something you would like to do, contact me and I can refer you to Professor Burgoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment