Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Diversity of a Company

My name is Andrew Nagy and I am a senior in the ALE program here at the university. This summer I returned to Bayer Crop Sciences for a second internship at the Midwest Field Research Center located in White Heath, IL. The previous year I worked as a research assistant under the Trait Development focus, absorbing as much "regulated" experience as I could. This summer I transitioned to an internship under the Crop Protection focus to experience more mainstream agriculture research practices.



At the beginning of this summer, I assumed that I would be learning some new practices and procedures for this different style of research; but I was not prepared for how vastly different the two areas are form each other while still feeding into the Bayer Crop science branch. The Crop Sciences research branch of the Bayer corporation compasses; early development, breeding, trait development, crop protection, turf and ornamental, as well as small fruits and vegetables. After finishing this summer under Crop Protection, my eyes were truly opened to how many different and unique areas there are under this single branch of the company.

A lesson that I was very happy to have learned this summer was to experience ALL a company has to offer. You may have not been fond of your internship or think a different area would be better for you, but that is no reason to dismiss a company all together. It is crucial to truly experience different/all areas a company has to offer in order to make sure you're not missing out on something you might truly thrive in or enjoy doing. Last year I barely scratched the surface of the Crop Sciences branch, let alone the entire corporation of Bayer. This year and in the future, I plan to truly embrace the company as a whole to fully experience not only my specific area, but also what the company I work for is doing for the community, industry, and truly the entire world.

No comments:

Post a Comment