Sunday, August 30, 2015

University of Illinois Extension Internship

Throughout my summer internship, I got a chance to contribute to various different agricultural endeavors. The first component involved driving around to different CPS schools conducting garden evaluations. I filled out a three page survey for each school created by Drew Thomas, the school garden coordinator. I was asked to answer questions ranging from the number of total garden beds to the overall condition of the garden. The most effective way to fill out this survey was through my iPhone 6, where I could give feedback to the garden coordinators in real time. I took multiple pictures of each garden and dragged them into a google drive folder for all other contributors of the survey to see. In total, I visited 35 different CPS schools and completed surveys for each.
Memorial for student that passed away at
Mt. Greenwood Elementary School

For my Professional Development Experience, I worked hands on with my supervisor Zach Grant to build a high tunnel. Located at 50 W Madison in Maywood Illinois, the ReUseDepot provided us with a piece of land adjacent to the property for us to build. Extension agreed that by building on their property, both the ReUseDepot and Extension have co-ownerhsip of the high tunnel. This high tunnel structure uses solar heat to create a microclimate. Together, Zach and I assembled steel hoops, support boards, and garden beds day in and day out. I learned how to use power tools and how to create a high tunnel that is structurally sound. I learned the meticulous detail that goes into creating a large structure that is sustainable year round. Although completing the structure was cut off early due to my departure for school, I can safely say that I contributed to building a high tunnel that traps heat, allowing for year round growth. 

Zachary Grant using clamps, level bubble, and power tools to make sure steel hoops are level and equidistant

Myself, Jordan Horwich, using power drill to lock in support for steel hoops 


No comments:

Post a Comment