Sunday, August 13, 2017

A Lesson Learned

This summer I am working with the DuPage County Farm Bureau as the Agriculture Literacy and Public Relations Intern. With this job, I am communicating with the public via all social media platforms, as well as in person at local farmer’s markets, libraries, and parks. I also present Ag In The Classroom topics to children throughout DuPage County.

This was a big change for me. I am from a small town in Wisconsin with no more than 1,500 people and now I am living in the suburbs of Chicago. That is something that I never envisioned. I moved from my friends, my family and my dog in Champaign, and let me tell you after the first week I was ready to give up.

I am so happy I didn’t! As I look back on the summer, this experience has given me insight into what work in a non-profit is really like. It has also helped me decide what I want to do after school—and maybe a little bit about what I don’t want to do. I have strengthened my public speaking and other communication skills, and learned so much about effective use of social media. All of that will help me in the future no matter where I go. Looking back on it, there are things I would do differently, but that is all part of learning.  

While working in a more urban environment, I have learned that not every fight is worth fighting. There is always going to be someone who does not agree with what you have to say and that is okay! Just stay true to who you are and what you believe, provide people with the information and let them form their own opinions.



This summer might not have been the easiest, but I am glad I powered through it. I am a firm believer that good things happen to those who work hard and reach for their goals. If you put your mind to it, you can achieve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment