Wednesday, August 2, 2017

How many of you know what 4-H is?

How many of you know what 4-H is? This was a question I found myself asking repeatedly this summer during my internship with University of Illinois Extension Champaign County. Over the course of the summer, Brooke (my fellow intern) and I led many different programs for youth all around Champaign. It was difficult, but also so rewarding! We would walk into these programs with the children having no interest to be there, but then leave after answering many great questions! Even if our program for the day did not specifically talk about any agricultural points, we always made sure to tie it in. That is all I really want to do as I continue into my adult life, spread the positives of the agricultural industry to those who know nothing about it. I can honestly say that this summer I was successful in doing just that.

I spent most of my summer preparing for the Champaign County Fair, this meant find volunteers to be judges and supers, as well as parents to be helpers, this summer was a bit out of the ordinary, our Supervisor Jamie Boas was out on maternity leave for most of the summer. She was in the office as spirit everyday but Brooke and I did most of the heavy lifting, this pushed me to do my best not only for the office, and myself but also for all of the 4-H members. I just kept reminding myself how much 4-H meant to me when I was younger; I wanted these kids to not only have the same experience, but also a better one!


I have been so fortunate to be hired on as a Student Worker at the Champaign County Extension Office for the 2017-2018 school year.  I can honestly say that this internship has influenced the rest of my life. I can honestly say that I would love a job with Youth Development 4-H in Extension in the future. After I graduate in May, I plan to continue my education to do just that. I cannot wait to see where this road leads me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment