Wednesday, August 9, 2017

That's 4-H


That’s 4-H

“I pledge my head to clearer thinking, my heart to greater loyalty, my hands to larger service, and my health to better living, for my club, my community, my country, and my world.” These are the words that make up the 4-H pledge. I said this pledge for ten years, and I had the opportunity to say it once again this summer as the 4-H Youth Development Intern with the University of Illinois Extension in Unit 26, which serves Franklin, Jackson, Perry, Randolph, and Williamson counties.

When I started my first week, I already had my first event. Yeah, talk about scary! I attended Unit 26 4-H Federation lock-in where I facilitated team building activities to all the 4-H members. This is where I met all the county 4-H Program Coordinators and a few of the 4-H members in Unit 26.

The next week was the start of our Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Camps. Sara Marten, Unit 26 4-H Youth Development Educator and I facilitated four STEM camps in Unit 26, an Engineering Camp and a Science Camps each in Franklin and Jackson Counties. The camps were opened to all youth, ages 8-13. During the Engineering Camps, students learned about and built simple machines such as crossbows, marshmallow catapults, and simple trebuchets and used them to protect themselves in a zombie apocalypse. The students enjoyed taking out all of the zombies that took over the Franklin and Jackson County Extension Offices before they took over all of Unit 26. During the Science Camps, students were able to beat the heat and learn some cool science topics such as chemistry, life science, and astronomy. The few experiments we conducted were Ice Cream in a Bag, Slime, Oobleck, and Monster Bubbles. I didn’t only get to help facilitate these experiments, but taught my very own lesson. I was excited but nervous! I taught the students about plant and animal cells. We even made our own edible plant and animal cells. I think their favorite experiment was the slime.

It's fair time! It wouldn’t be summer without attending a few county 4-H fairs. As the Unit 26 4-H Youth Development Intern I had the opportunity to attend and work at each of the county 4-H fairs in my unit. I was able to be a judge at each of the county’s 4-H General Project fairs. Let me tell you, I got to judge some random projects I had no knowledge about, but I learned a lot. Since my office is located in Franklin County, I had the privilege to help organize and run the Franklin County 4-H Fair. I was able to organize the livestock judges and be in charge of all the livestock shows. Alaina Gibbs, a Franklin County 4-H Alumni, and I were in charge of Fun Night where we facilitated games for all the 4-H members at the Franklin County Fairgrounds in Ina, Illinois.

Between all the STEM Camps and County 4-H Fairs, the University of Illinois Extension in Unit 26 received a visit from College of ACES Dean Kim Kidwell. She visited our Unit because she wanted to see Extension in action. She started her tour at the north part of the Unit and ended at the Jackson County Office to see youth rotating to different booths to learn about gardening, beekeeping, solar science, and agriculture. I had the privilege of meeting with and talking to Dean Kidwell along with her colleague, ACE Department Head Sean Fox, and fellow University of Illinois student, Collin Smith.

With summer coming to an end, along with my internship I had another project up my sleeves. A workshop entitled “4-H Leadership Training” for 4-H members, ages 13-18 years old, in Unit 26 at the Franklin County Extension Office. This workshop will give 4-Hers the passion and drive to step up to be a better leader in their clubs and communities. The agenda for the workshop was jammed pack with amazing information, awesome activities, meeting new people, and FUN.

Although it was a busy summer from lock-ins, to fairs, to STEM camps, to meeting Dean Kidwell, and closing off with an awesome 4-H leadership training, it was also impactful and fun. That’s 4-H for you!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment