Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Down the Road





When I first came to Memphis, TN I was super lonely. Who wouldn't be if they were 400 miles away from home and anyone they knew? The first two weeks I was adjusting to working and the city life...but something was missing. If you know me, you know I love my dog, Molly. Unfortunately, I could not bring her down here this summer. I honestly don't think she would have been happy or enjoyed the city life.


So, I did some research. I looked for shelters in Memphis, but they wanted me to attend an orientation, and I didn't have time for that. I wanted to volunteer as soon as possible and with a good group of people. So one day I am heading to work, and it hits me I pass an animal shelter EVERY day before and after work. The best part? It's just down the road.



Cowboy saying, "Hi there."
One day at work, I had the courage to email the staff at the West Memphis Animal Shelter (WMAS) and quickly got a response to come down after I was off and fill out paperwork to be a dog walker. I was so excited, and could not wait to get my hands on the dogs. My first responsibility was giving dogs afternoon walks. The dogs were so excited to get out of their kennels, and I was ecstatic to help in any way I could. I started getting to know the kennel technicians but quickly became acquainted with everyone, including the director, Miss Kerry. Miss Kerry has increased my responsibilities to answering phones and doing feedings in the afternoons. It's not just animals that they save, but humans too. Without this experience, I would have not grown much during the summer. Sure I had my internship, but this was the piece that was missing. I talked to Dr. Keating before leaving for the South, and told her I wanted to be involved in the community some way, shape, or form. Keating said I would find my way, and once again she could not have been more correct. I have made connections with the staff at WMAS that will continue even when I am back in Illinois.



Miss Kerry removing fleas on puppies


As my summer winds down, I find myself drawn to continue helping the staff at the shelter. I even brought up an idea to my mom to have her daycare start collecting donations for the WMAS. I will also be starting a new/used blanket drive when I get home this fall. I couldn't be more excited to have made new connects and helped within the community.





We may be scared to take big leaps in life, but without putting ourselves out there how do we know what we are capable of? I am so glad my mentor and faculty at UIUC encouraged me to take this opportunity. Interning for Cargill has been great, but helping the WMAS was icing on the cake.

Zeus

No comments:

Post a Comment