Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Corn, Congress, and Communications

From shadowing a lobbyist in Springfield during Illinois legislative session to advocating for the passage of the United States Mexico Canada trade agreement on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, I have been immersed in the world of agriculture and legislation this summer while serving as the Illinois Corn Growers Association (ICGA) legislative intern in Bloomington, Illinois. 


Corn Having grown up on a beef, dairy, and grain farm in Northwestern Illinois, I thought that I was familiar with the corn sector of the agriculture industry. However, there is so much more to corn than planting in the spring and harvesting in the fall. As I have learned, the reaches of the corn sector stretch far beyond the fields. So many products that we use in our daily lives contain corn or corn byproducts. One such byproduct is ethanol. This renewable fuel has helped to cut down on greenhouse gas emissions, improve air quality in large cities, and increased the choices at the pump for the consumer. Not only are farmers feeding the world with their crops, but they are bettering it in other ways too.

Congress Despite the seasonal sessions of the Illinois governing body, the work of IL Corn does not stop when the session concludes. Rather, the work has truly just begun. Many times, preparation is key in the agriculture industry. When preparing to plant in the spring, farmers order their seed and make sure that their equipment is in working order so that when the opportunity to plant arises, they can be out in the field as soon as possible. IL Corn operates in a similar fashion. Upon the conclusion of the spring session, the IL Corn team immediately began working on preparing a plan for the upcoming fall session. Various pieces of legislation that would have serious negative implications on the corn sector needed to be addressed to prevent potential passage in the spring 2020 session.

Communications While I have spent the summer learning about corn and legislation, I have also learned the importance of effective verbal and written communication. Using your voice to tell your story is one of the most powerful ways to enact change. The stories that you share with others help them get to know you. These stories may reveal your values, interests, or passions. When advocating for their legislative priorities on Capitol Hill, farmers shared their stories about the poor planting conditions this past spring. Their stories illustrated the importance of passing legislation that benefits farmers. You will never know the impact that you can have by telling your story unless you are willing to share. 


During my internship search, I knew that I was passionate about agriculture, policy, and communications. Not only have I gotten to combine my passions while serving in this role, but I have been able to practice many of the communications and leadership skills that I have been learning. The skills, knowledge, relationships, and memories that I take away from this internship will continue to impact me and help me grow in the years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment