Thursday, August 8, 2019

Science For A Better LIFE


This summer I was fortunate to continue working at Bayer Crop Science Innovation Center at The University of Illinois Research Park. I was able to extend my project working with the University Relations Strategy team out of the corporate office in Chesterfield, Missouri. Even though, I have been with the company since 2017, I went along with 17 new summer interns for the orientation at the corporate office in Creve Coeur, Missouri. While it was my very first visit to the corporate campus, the other interns referred to me as “mother hen” the entire trip as being a “veteran employee” I always made sure we were where we needed to be and answered any questions they had.

While I spent most of my summer in the office continuing the university relations project, I was also strung to take on many other tasks within the Innovation Center. As an Ag Business Analyst, I spent the majority of my time cataloging recent Legacy Monsanto university collaboration data to determine the business purpose/intent of the collaborations. I spent days learning how to use the program, Spotfire. Then, I developed a Spotfire tool to help visualize the legacy data that will in the end be the foundation that the Bayer University Strategy Team will use to optimize the benefits derived from university collaborations across Bayer. Being the “veteran,” I worked closely with the other interns and developed “intern spotlights” and “intern profiles” to distribute weekly to their project leads and higher leadership within Bayer Crop Science. 

Throughout the summer, as a group we were able to take a tour of Bayer’s White Heath and Thomasboro (my old stomping grounds) locations. Coming from working out in the fields every day to sitting in a large open office space, it was an adjustment so luckily, I was given the opportunity to take the lead and get out of the office and get my hands dirty while cleaning up and maintaining our pollinator habitat out back of the office.
One of the greatest parts about interning with Bayer is the networking experience. Everyone within the company is very passionate about the work they’re doing and the work the company is doing. I have previously gained two mentors from the Thomasboro locations but luckily, I was able to take a full day this summer to travel to STL and spend the whole day networking around the Chesterfield Bayer Crop Science location with many individuals at different leadership levels. What an amazing yet, intimidating experience that was!

As the summer internship opportunity came to an end, all of us Innovation Center interns traveled to Chesterfield to present our project posters. This was an experience for any individuals within the company to come by and learn about the work we focused on all summer. It was not only a presentation for us but as well as a great way to network within the company. (Pictured below with my poster- as the material is Bayer Confidential unfortunately it is whited out.) Then, July 26th came, and I said “see ya later” to all the other student interns as they have a break for summer, but I am fortunate enough to extend my work and continue throughout the rest of summer and the 2019-2020 school year. 












No comments:

Post a Comment