Thursday, August 15, 2019

Walk The Talk

Farm. Family. Food.

These three words are the short slogan that is always beside the Illinois Farm Bureau logo.  Many large companies and organizations treat their slogans as a great marketing scheme and not a way of life.  I realized throughout my ten-week internship as the Youth and Collegiate that this isn't the case with Illinois Farm Bureau.  The work they do day in and day out is positively affecting their members, Illinois farmers, and Illinois agriculture as a whole.  Illinois Farm Bureau isn't about making a profit or being outstanding in their field in science.  Illinois Farm Bureau is to better the lives of Illinois agriculture and farmers.  During my short time with them, I had countless opportunities to impact the future of agriculture across the state of Illinois.


This summer experience let me gain a different perspective of Illinois farms through the youth involved in the industry.  My primary project this summer was planning and implementing the 20th anniversary of the State Master Showmanship contest.  From contacting sponsors to reaching out to judges to choosing the t-shirt color that would hide sweat the best, I had big and small decisions to make throughout the entire summer because of this competition.  Over 50 4-Hers traveled to the Illinois State Fair to exhibit three different species in a one hour contest. To say I was impressed with their poise and knowledge would be an understatement.  Preparing for this contest all summer gave me not so gentle reminders of the importance of tradition within showing livestock, agriculture, and being on the farm.

 
My internship let me meet and work with some of the best people in the industry.  From my supervisors to other interns within the building, I gained a circle of people who helped me become a more confident worker and overall person.  They aren't just coworkers, they are family.  They will support you when the going gets tough, like when over 100 t-shirts come in and are completely messed up.  They make sure to take great photos of you throughout the summer not only for your internship class but for crushing the social media game.  They are listening ears and sounding boards for all ideas, no matter how crazy or long-winded they are.  The culture of Illinois Farm Bureau is more than just a business relationship.


Illinois Farm Bureau is an organization for farmers.  That means a significant talking point of all divisions of Illinois Farm Bureau is food. Whether it is about the transportation of food now or talking about feeding a growing world 30 years from now.  Along with that, they always made sure I was well-fed with snacks and extra-large portions at meals, food is still a meaningful conversation within Illinois Farm Bureau.  Along with feeding employees, one part of my internship was participating in a philanthropic event with Midwest Food Bank.  Interns with Illinois Farm Bureau and COUNTRY Financial spent several hours packaging food to be donated to hungry people across the state of Illinois.  Not only does Illinois Farm Bureau want to feed hungry stomachs, but they spend time feeding the hunger to do more and be more.


I have learned so many things because of my internship. From the real power, a phone call can make rather than just sending an email to how to handle the copier with a mind of its own.  One of the biggest things that I have learned is that Farm. Family. Food. is not just a slogan for Illinois Farm Bureau, but it is a way of life.  They use their words and live by them.  They don't just talk the talk, they walk the walk.  I believe that if we try to live a life of walking the talk, we can achieve success while earning the trust and respect of others around us.  Words and promises mean a lot in the world we live in, imagine a world where everyone put value and action with the words they used.

No comments:

Post a Comment