Thursday, August 15, 2019

We Create You

You don't think it is ever something that is going to happen to you, but you are aware of what it is. You know the textbook response you are supposed to have, but until it happens to you, it seems like you will never have to deal with that stress. What am I talking about exactly you may ask? Sexual harassment in the workplace.

BASF, the company that claims to "create chemistry," has created a stronger individual within me that I didn't know existed.


This summer, I had the opportunity to join the Trait Development (TD) department at the Midwest Research Farm out of Seymour, Illinois. Although on paper, I was a TD employee, most of my time was spent with the Breeding department. Tasks were generally completed with four other interns alongside additional employees from the site.

It was the week of June 11th, when I began spending most of my internship under the supervision of the Breeding department. That week us interns and two interim employees were to volunteer monitor our fields in Illinois and Indiana. This task meant there was a lot of time spent in trucks driving to and from fields including napping and talking.


I was the only intern with the temp employees driving to finish a field when quite an inappropriate topic came about; one employee was prying to reveal my sexual history. I was in a state of shock and disbelief that:
1. this was happening to me
2. this was a casual conversation for him and
3. the other employee was doing nothing about it.

I recall telling him how uncomfortable the conversation was making me and how inappropriate it was; doing everything I could do to help him get the hint. That day after work, I sat in my car and cried for what seemed like hours. I immediately texted my TD supervisor, asking to meet her and talk about the situation. That next Monday, BASF fired the individual, and I found out I was not the only one he had been doing this towards.

You aren't taught how to deal with situations like this in class. You take the online pieces of training, and that's about it. I am lucky that my supervisor and company did something about the situation in a timely and professional manner.

In the end, I am forever thankful for my time spent at BASF and believe that I am a better version of myself because of my experience, both good and bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment