Friday, August 2, 2013

Macoupin County Extension Office

Wow, has summer flown by. After a late start to my internship, it has taken off and going great. This summer I continued my internship from last summer with Unit 18 Extension office: Macoupin and Jersey County. Last summer my pilot program was a success so I was asked to continue it as well as add another county and different program. I have been asked to help organize and teach our Unit 18 HCE retreat with Sara Marten!! These 3 programs keep me busy most of the time in the office but when I’m not busy I have been helping with other events.

Beaver Dam Royal Lakes Grant:
On July 25, 2013 I ventured out to Beaver Dam State Park with two fellow Master Gardeners and some local 4-H kids from the royal lakes 4-H club. We were joined by the park owner and a retired master Gardner. The owner shared the history of how the state park came to be with the kids. We learned some cool facts about the park. I have been camping there since I was 5 and didn’t know some of the history that he told the kids. He then talked about new regulations on fishing as well as how their fishery in the dam was doing.

After the talk, the kids walked up to the pavilion area and were shown what poison ivy looks like. They were warned to steer clear of this dangerous plant. They discussed ways to get rid of the ivy and ways to identify it. They then walked over to a patch of prairie grass to learn about different habitats.











After some plant id, the kids joined a healthy eating forum with extension snapped coordinator Beth Groves. Beth talked about sometimes and all the times food with the children and then taught them two recipes. The first recipe was pita sandwiches where they made sandwiches out of pita bread, ham, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, and ranch. Yummm!!! They then need made red white and blue deserts. This desert consisted of a tortilla shell, yogurt, blue berries and strawberries. The kids sure loved getting to make their food.






Robotics Camp Jersey County:


July 29th and 30th I experienced a new joy in work, robotics. I was asked to teach our 2 day camp because the lady in charge was going on vacation. Talk about a fun experience, I think I learned as much as the kids while teaching this program. I observed one day of camp in Hillsboro before I taught the program. At this camp I taught the kids how to build a lego robot, program the robot, and how to use multiple sensors. This camp is was a great way for kid to stay interested in science because not only did they build with their hands but they learned about what a robot is, is a robot artificial or not, and much more.





I am looking forward to spending the last few weeks in the office preparing for my 2 programs to take place. This summer has been an exciting time and am glad to be able to build upon last summers experience.
-Shelby Lahey









No comments:

Post a Comment