Thursday, August 18, 2016

ASPCA: Animal Poison Control Center

June 24th is national bring your pet to work day. At the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, it’s always bring your pet to work day. We’re allowed to bring our pets into the office while we work so they don’t have to sit at home alone all day. I feel like this is why many of the people in the office are happy to come in and are able to deal with the everyday calls we get, which are a whole other story themselves.
Last week marked our 406th hour at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center. “Our” is referring to myself and Opie, who you can see in the picture with me. A couple weeks into my internship this little guy decided to come live with me, therefore is the intern pup at the APCC by default. During the internship I worked on updating protocol binders, finding information on ant bait traps to see if we could use it to increase the dose for more people to deal with, researching different kinds of fish oils and their ingredients, and mainly helping one of the DVMs on intralipid research so she can write research papers on Intarlipid Emulsion Therapy (ILE).

I started with over 5,000 cases to go through and slowly dwindled it down to just over 350 useable cases for the research papers. I presented my findings to the rest of the staff in the office during staff rounds and I will be presenting it again to the DVM’s in the office. It’s taken a lot of time and effort, finding that this therapy has helped a majority of the cases surely makes it worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment