Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Just Might Have Your Radio On

            When I was a little girl some of my favorite singers were George Strait, Toby Keith, Tim McGraw, and Garth Brooks to mention a few. I remember rides in the farm truck with my dad checking cows or doing the feeding and listening to the radio. Little did I know that eventually one day I would be heard through the radio in someone else’s farm truck.

            I have spent my summer working for the Illini Radio Group on a Farm Broadcasting station WYXY Classic 99.1. It has been amazing to see the behind the scenes aspects of working in radio. I traveled to over 20 county fairs and other agriculture events interviewing those involved in the industry and telling their story of agriculture. Another part of my internship was reading the daily grain markets and interpreting the prices of that day.



           
As I got older I found myself asking signs from the radio; before an interview I would want to hear my favorite songs to give me confidence or tell me everything is going to okay. That was one thing that amazed me is when I was working in the studio the amount of requests for songs that I would get. I had people call to request to celebrate anniversaries, engagements, to and to even try mend broken hearts. It made me realize the impact that the songs and stories have on the listeners. I had several people tell me that some of the reports that I did made them change some of their practices on their family farm.




All in all, it was an amazing experience to report on something I am so passionate about; Agriculture and the people in it. I have done reports and interviews with people involved in international agriculture, and a series on farm safety, and everything in between. So tune right in wherever you go and listen to the sounds of the radio.


No comments:

Post a Comment