Thursday, August 4, 2016

Farmin'


There is so much I can say about my experience at the Sustainable Student Farm. It's been transformative in more ways than ever imagined, and I am so grateful for the opportunity.




I spy a tomato hornworm!


Waking up at 5:37 am or sometime after,   I start my day and never know what is to await at the farm. I get to experience the quiet, cool, dewy, blue mornings pruning tomatoes in the high tunnels or weeding the carrot bed.

Every day, every hour (most times) you are accomplishing another task. Morning rain? No problem at the farm. Head to the tunnels and set tomatoes free of "suckers" and tomato hornworms or wash and sanitize harvest bins in the wash pack station, or continue harvesting, planting, and cultivating.

I'm beginning to love the rain; it's nature's break for hot, sweaty, drained farmers. Even a rain cloud or regular cloud provides just enough shade to bring a smile to your face while you're cultivating a 400-foot bed in 98-degree weather.


At least there's a breeze, right?


The first five hours of my day (7 am- 12 pm) go by faster than you think and I've never loved lunch more. After a few bad days (experiencing heat exhaustion, sunburn, and dehydration), I learned to listen to my body and respond in time. So lunch is a chance to find air conditioning, rest, eat yummy food, and take in much-needed electrolytes. 

The end of the day (1 pm- 4 pm) also flys by.

I've developed so many skills at the farm that I have always wanted. I've learned to master tomato pruning, harvest everything, cultivate, lay out and maintain irrigation, recognize and name weeds and native plants, run the BCS (walk-behind tractor), face a hoop tunnel, cure garlic and onions, layout landscaping fabric and drip-tape, and so much more.



I recognize that I, as a person, feel a lot happier. Sure I am -actually- tired at the end of the day, but I don't feel so caught-up in my head. In fact, I feel very clear-headed and focused. I feel productive and comical. I feel adventurous and calm.

I'm happy





As a leader, I know this internship- along with the first-year of my Ag Leadership courses- has helped me recognize who I am as a leader and how I can become a better one. My manager, Matt Turino does a remarkable job of helping others develop new skills, improve current ones, and makes them feel needed and appreciated, always. He has become a role model of mine, and I am honored to learn from him. 


All-in-all this summer internship has been amazing. 

I got to work as a farmhand but also took on the role as Market Manager for the student Farmstand every Thursday 11 am- 5 pm. As Market Manager, I write up the harvest sheet (list of what to harvest for market) and the market stand list. Getting to talk with new customers, regular customers and those just passing through is very exciting. Everyone is so thankful and excited to eat fresh; organic produce grown by students only 2.5 miles away.

I'm so glad I did this, I have found a place for me, and I don't plan on leaving anytime soon.


Nejra Muminovic

:)





No comments:

Post a Comment